Monday, September 15, 2008

The Fourth Gift of Birth is Compassion


Compassion is one of the hardest concepts to understand. There are times, though, when you feel it coursing through for those who seem to fall all the time, who can't recognize the kindness and beauty in life, or who just live in naivete. My husband says I am the most naive person he has ever met and he has compassion for me and my heart. There is a balance that I guess I don't figure out when it comes to my heart and others, but, as he holds me, he says, "But that is what makes you care for so so many in your life. Don't change that part. Just look carefully at who you think you know." So, the dilemma. Do you stay unattached, inorder to be safe and not naive? Or do you experience and then, learn, and then love anyway? The thing that I have been exploring lately is knowing my boundaries.
I am lucky to have a husband who listens, friends who care, who laugh and cry with me, and especially my children that light me up. My husband often tells me, "Most people don't deserve all that you put out for them, all the love you give is disproportionate to their worth. You should focus that energy on those closest in your life and yourself, then, won't it spread from there? Isn't that how you said it works once?"
So, this morning, I, with the help of bookclub friends last night, my husband, and my inner spirit, I think I finally get that hard word,
Compassion. Let the love shine in your heart, and it radiates through all those you care about and all you create. Thank-you watery world for washing away the cares, creating such peaceful, new paths, and showing me, me.

No comments: